Step Six

In Step Six, I examine my defects not individually but overall:

The result of living life based on self-will.

I don't work on defects.

To work on something, I must have it.

To have it, I must have kept it.

The programme says to get rid of defects, not keep them.

I don't do the removal.

God does the removal.

I ask God to remove them.

I'm not off the hook:

The last five Steps are mine to take.

Steps Eight and Nine removed my attachment to self.

Sane and sound ideals / a vision of God's will for provide the way forward:

What would God have me be (page 68)?

What would God have me do (pages 86 to 88)?

Then I busy myself with Steps Ten through Twelve.

If I do the right thing the right way: no defect.

All I do must be under the heading of Steps Ten through Twelve.

God removes the defects but, in line with Concept VI:

I take chief initiative and active responsibility for their removal ...

... by taking Steps Ten through Twelve.

Here's my attitude:

I don't exist.

I don't matter to me.

I am here only to be used by God.

I am to have no opinion on outside matters.

What is an outside matter?

Anything beyond the next right action.