Self-centeredness: a diagnostic tool

For twenty-four hours, at the end of each waking half-hour, write down the predominant mental focus of the previous half-hour.

Category 1:

Personal Relations: How others treat me: what they're doing, what I think they should do instead, and how I can get them to change

Sex Relations: How others treat me in the sexual domain: what they're doing, what I think they should do instead, and how I can get them to change

Pocketbooks: Money: income, costs, assets, liabilities, property, and stuff

Security: My needs: anything I think I need, what I'm lacking, and how to fill the lack

Ambitions: My wants: anything I think I want, what I'm lacking, and how to fill the lack

Pride: What you think of me: speculations plus plans to change or manipulate what you think of me

Self-Esteem: What I think of me: considerations of my identity, value, and purpose, vanity, fantasy about future images of myself, self-reproach, guilt, shame, and other negative self-talk

Category 2:

Personal inventory

Conversing with God

Planning constructive activity / contributing to others' welfare

Pure enjoyment and appreciation

The task or activity at hand

The balance between mental focus between categories 1 and 2 will tell me how self-centered I am.