Enthusiasm and discipline

When I was new in AA, I was really enthusiastic. I was excited to get to meetings. I got to as many meetings as possible. I talked to a load of people before. I listened carefully at the meeting. I always shared, usually as soon as there was an opportunity. I used my full 3, 4, or 5 minutes. I went for coffee afterwards. I spent so much time on the phone to people. I read recovery and spiritual literature. I spent every spare minute listening to AA tapes.

Sometimes, today, I lack a little enthusiasm. Not often, but it happens. Then, the back-up generator of discipline kicks in, and I act enthusiastic. Very soon, I am enthusiastic again.

What does lack of enthusiasm look like?

- Few meetings / meetings squeezed around other activities

- Late to meetings

- Sitting at the back / camera off (when having the camera on is viable)

- Not sharing

- Not talking to people before or after

- Not going for fellowship

- Not calling people

- Not reading / listening to as much recovery / spiritual materials as possible

- Not turning round step work within 24 hours or less

It does not take much self-honesty to see if one is enthusiastic.

When one is not, the slip has already happened. The only thing missing is the drink.