"cast out one’s own will and one’s own ideas" (Step Three)

I had to cast out some old ideas.

Here are seven old ideas:

  1. If I want to drink, I have to.
  2. It will work for you, but it won't work for me.
  3. Material success brings happiness.
  4. I can read the future.
  5. I know what other people are thinking.
  6. I need to look after myself because God cannot.
  7. There is something bad that is going to get me.

Here are the new ideas:

  1. I never have to drink again if instead I take the next right action.
  2. It will work for me if I take the Steps.
  3. Only serving God brings happiness.
  4. I cannot read the future.
  5. I cannot read people's minds.
  6. I cannot look after me, but God can.
  7. God will help me handle any situation that arises.

'When he acquires willingness, he is the only one who can make the decision to exert himself.' (Step Three)

On the basis of these ideas, my job is to exert my will along this line to do four things:

  1. Don't drink no matter what.
  2. Ask God for help.
  3. Take my AA actions.
  4. Plod diligently and largely silently with my other affairs.